Accused or convicted of a crime? You still have legal rights and liberties. Police and the courts must follow specific procedures to ensure that you obtain these rights through every step of the criminal-justice process.
After an arrest, you will want to cooperate with the authorities without relinquishing your rights. We highly suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible after your arrest to help ensure that your legal rights and interests are protected.
If you are trying to find an attorney to represent a loved one, you will want to contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
What to Expect after an Arrest
After a person is arrested, they are taken to a local jail, booked, questioned, presented in court and bonded out.
During this process you are legally allowed to refuse to do the following:
- To provide your employers name.
- To speak to the police until an attorney is present.
- To sign any paperwork that may be used against you in court.
You are required to:
- Take a urine or blood test after a DUI / DWI charge; if you do not comply your license will be revoked for a period of time established by the state of your arrest.
- Provide answers to questions regarding your full name, date of birth, occupation, address.
Each state may have rules and procedures unique to their own jurisdiction. However, each state must comply with the following basic constitutional rights:
- Right to a clear notice of the criminal charges against you
- Right to an attorney
- Right to a jury trial
- Right to confront witnesses who are against you
- Right to call supporting witnesses
- Right to produce evidence
- Right against self-incrimination
- Right to be free of cruel and unusual punishment
- Right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure
An experienced criminal lawyer from the state where you are charged will be able to provide you with the best representation. To find out if there is a 1-800-CRIMINAL defense lawyer in your area, call today or check out our attorney’s page online now. We offer affordable representation to our clients.